Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Color Blind or Color Brave?

Have you ever felt invisible? This is a question that falls close to home because I did use to feel invisible.  When I wasn't invisible I was being picked on and felt invisible in all aspects that made me, me.  "How did they treat you"  this is a question that Mellody's mother asked her after a birthday party and my mother use to ask me all the time.


Mellody Hobson: "Color Blind or Color Brave?"

While watching a Ted Talk by Mellody Hobson called "Color Blind or Color Brave?"  This video spoke about how society is being open about being color brave.  We shouldn't be "color blind" and ignore race, we should be "color brave" in all aspects and stand up for what we believe.  My favorite quote from Mellody was "Be color brave so that every child knows that their future matters and that there dreams are possible."

Tweet from Nayyirah Waheed

While looking at a tweet from Nayyirah Waheed it stated "never trust anyone who says they do not see color this means to them, you are invisible."  Everyone is different, everyone is their own human being.  Color does not define us, what defines us in life is our jobs, our work ethic, our beliefs and motos in life.

Youth should feel welcome in their surroundings not worried about what people are going to think of them or perceive them.  When youth feel safe, welcome and treated well they open help and start trusting more.  This will help them grow as individuals as well as a group.








5 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about teaching the youth to be safe, but that would also go with all children. We need to make sure our children know that everyone is different, but it is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Color does not define us, as you say here, except when it does. Looking forward to talking more about this at YIA! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa,

    I loved how personal you got in your blog about feeling invisible. I think its something we all deal with from time to time. I also liked your ending quote, “Always trust in your own abilities. Even when you think you can’t, you can” Great blog post!

    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quote that you included from Mellody, "Be color brave so that every child knows that their future matters and that there dreams are possible" reminds me of the Ideology Inventory as well as YIA because it talks about how important it is to support youth and help them realize that they can do anything that they desire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your last paragraph and image ended your post really well. Youth should never feel invisible and we should know how to help them for when they do because their self worth and potential should never be hindered by something so small as ignorance of people who ignore them. I think the part that really hit a spot for me is also when Hobson says that her mother asked her "but how did they treat you" after attending a birthday party. This is not a normal question but it is an extremely moving and important memory that Hobson shares.

    ReplyDelete