Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Youth Development Ideology

I was surprised when I took the quiz for youth development ideology and found out I was critical youth development.  The belief of this category is that "Teens are legitimate actors and collaborators who have important ideas and ways of contributing to the world.  I believe this is true because everyone has potential to do something if they believe they can.  Children, adolescence and adults achieve more when they work together and negotiate the process to succeed something great.

Everyone grows up in different communities, cultures, organizations and families.  The youth today just need to know that they can do something and it can happen.  If you work with them they can achieve greatness and use their strengths from their lives to believe this is possible.

I work with a little boy who never thought anything was possible especially living with a family with 6 siblings.  When I started with him it was almost impossible to do anything without the lashing out screaming, hitting and breaking of something.  We now play football, make up games, go on nature walks, even just go to the library for hours looking at books.  I was an outsider coming into his family, however I built a trust system as well as contributed to his growth and that is why we have the type of development that we have.   Doing this with the youth today will help them achieve greatness and that is why I fell under the critical youth category.

No comments:

Post a Comment